Just thought I would post some more pictures of the harvest work for all our farming fans. that would be Morgan, Camille, Julie, Jamie, Gabe and anyone else who likes the look of our beautiful scenery. I took these pictures on Monday and Tuesday. I was lucky enough to get up to the field with dinner on Monday evening just at dusk when the sun went down and the moon came up within 15 - 20 minutes of each other. These pictures are all taken at our Highland place in Squirrel about 12 miles southeast of where we live. Highland is about 420 acres and takes 2 - 3 days to cut.

The moon coming up over the Teton range
Kristine driving the #10 truck
Zack in the combine on the northwest field at Highland.
Looking at the Tetons before this field was cut.
Another shot of the moon over the Tetons. This full moon and the big trees contributed to a silly story I have to tell on myself. After I took these pictures, I had to drive a full truck down to Ashton. Kent and Zack were far away and I was in the field by myself waiting for Kent to fill the truck. It was getting dark and I had to walk through the field a ways to get over to the truck when I started to hear an eerie sort of noise. I don't know why, but I immediately thought, "Oh my gosh, it's a skinwalker, and it must be hiding in the trees." I got myself pretty scared and I started running toward the truck. I could hear that scarey sound and I just wanted to get to one of the trucks. I had to remind myself there are no skinwalkers and then I calmed down. Of course it was not a skinwalker. What it was, was the Mexicans who live in a house about a half mile away across the field to the north playing their Mexican music really loud and that's what I heard. It sounded like a skinwalker to me. So that was embarassing and I'm really glad no one saw me tearing across the field as fast as I could go.
Tuesday afternoon from Highland looking toward the Tetons. Just over the hill of our back Highland field is Conant Creek. If you have read "The Virginian" and I recommend it, Conant Creek figures in the book when the Virginian is tracking the cattle rustlers from Wyoming. He finds them in Fremont Co. Idaho and hangs them from a tree near Conant Creek. So if you read the book, you now have a picture in your mind of where the rustlers came to an ignominious end.
Zack rounding the north tree. If you remember there are three big trees on this hill. for those of you not so familiar with the hill, it is where we went tubing two years ago on President's Day weekend.
Cutting around the tree.
Looking northeast toward Marsden's field. That is our semi and International truck.
A veiw of the trees from the east side of the hill.
Kent and Zack. Zack in the combine and Kent in the tractor.
Kent heading off to dump the grain into the trucks.
Zack and the combine.
It was so dusty it looked like we were digging dirt.
Alan said we might have got 60 bushels/acre. Pretty good for no rain all summer.
Happy Harvest everyone. So far we are all healthy and safe. Zack got one of his fingers smashed and it ripped off a pretty good chunck off the side and his nail turned blue. He will probably lose it. The nail not the finger. Today Alan smashed two of his fingers and his nails have also turned blue. Oh, and a hornet stung me today as I was mowing the lawn. Other than that, we are healthy and strong. We hope we stay safe. Working with this machinery and driving the trucks can be scarey at times, so we feel blessed when we make it through another harvest safely.
5 comments:
You are making me jealous. I love this time of year on the farm. i wish I could be there to at least make dinner or lunch. Not to drive the trucks. I would love to be there and take Leah out in the combine. I'm sure we could get a cute photo or two. I love yours though, they are amazing. I especially love the one looking out over the fields and at the tetons. That is a really beautiful picture that really captures the fall time. I hope you guys are still planning on coming down for Leah's birthday party. Andrew has a night class that goes until about eight that night so we are debating whether or not to just have the party on Friday. By the way I loved the story about the Skinwalkers. I can picture a worried look on your face as you spring across the field and into a truck. Thats funny that it was ust the mexicans. It reminds me of when Sara had her own mariachi band out in her back yard at her old house.
The pictures are beautiful. I get a feeling of how concentrated your day must be. I loved the picture of Alan all dusty and dirty. I can understand why when I saw all the dust coming up from the combine. Is it different having Zack home from school to help? Or did you guys have grain harvest off from school also.Zack sure stands out when he's out in the fields. What a fine guy he is turning out to be. I wanted to say boy but he's getting too old for that. What happens after grain harvest? What will you all be busy with next? I'm glad you got the shots of the moon rise. And I loved the story of the skinwalker. That mariachi music can be so misleading.
I love the pictures. They are really amazing. I was wondering if you could post the one with the field and the tree before you cut the grain with the Tetons in the background. I was not able to copy it big and I definately want a big picture of that. It is gorgeous. I was thinking of printing and framing it. Had you just read Skinwalkers again or what? You are such a goofy guts!
I think my favorite is the a view of the trees. I do love the first one though! Amazing!
Those pictures are absolutely beautiful!!! I need to get more familiar with my camera, and a better eye for pictures, and maybe I'll get some good photos of scenery. :) I feel kind of dumb because I had to look up what a Skinwalker was because I have never heard of them before. When I read what they were I just busted up laughing, especially picturing you running back to the truck. ;-)
Post a Comment